Surfing.

We got the opportunity to go surfing a weekend or two ago. It was pretty much the coolest thing ever. I couldn't help but giggle at all the people that have since asked "did you get up?" Yes, I "got it up."

If I haven't scared you off with innuendo's, I have a picture.



Now, the story goes something like this. After some initial attempts, I realized that just sitting out there in the water on the board is harder than it looks. Balancing on water is very different. After learning to balance (well enough that is) one has to learn how to catch waves. I have a lot to learn about this yet. After you catch a wave, you must learn to ride it. To stand up and walk. This, I thought, was simultaneously the easiest and most fun aspect of surfing. Once you have some balance and have caught a good wave, standing up is just sort of standing up.

In the above picture, a friend and classmate of Dez's was surfing next to me, and she fell off and her board collided into mine. If you look closely at the picture, you can see her board on top of my own.

I look like I'm going to fall in the picture, but I didn't. I rode the wave out. It was at that moment, for the first time that day, that I allowed myself to believe I was actually surfing. Now I'm pretty much sold on the idea, and hope to surf more before the summer is through.

Dez had fun too--she rode some waves in. We had fun swimming together. It's the first time we've been swimming in the ocean since we've been out here. Unfortunately, our sunscreen didn't hold itself up to the task, and we both get burnt, despite reapplications and such. We've since done some research and switched to another brand.

No comments: